Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Chapter One

First, thank you Chris for facilitating this blog to discuss what has been deemed by many as one of the best books on marriage. I guess one of the main reasons it has gotten this type of feedback is that according to Paul David Tripp, "it is very honest about sin and very hopeful about the amazing resources of God's grace in Jesus Christ."

Well, since it is getting late and I need to get some rest, I am going to write a little about one of the highlights of chapter one and post some more later.

After establishing that marriage was created to magnify the gospel and put on display the relationship between Christ and the church, Dave Harvey started with the importance that a marriage being shaped by theology. I loved what R.C. Sproul said about the fact that it is not whether a husband and wife have a theology but whether it is good theology or bad theology. What we believe about God will dictate how we see one another, relate with one another and respond to one another. One example of this is in the belief that God is Sovereign. This will in itself enable you to know that your spouse was given to you directly from God for His glory and your joy. It is exciting and important to see His hand in every detail of our marriage. Well, enough for now--off to bed---more to come.

1 comment:

micah said...

On the sovereignty of God. Just a little story...I remember early on in our marriage, while Amanda and I were living in an apartment in Birmingham, close to Samford, I was taking out the garbage and these words passed through my mind. "your journey is for her and her journey is for you." My feeling was that the trip together was going to be instrumental in both of us experiencing God's fullest intention for our lives. It's something he intended to work out in us together specifically, not individually and alone. The funny thing is, I think we were in a fight and I was taking out the garbage to get some "gripe time." Needless to say, I came back to the apartment with a little less gripe and a little more understanding.