Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Chapter One (II)

The first highlight of chapter one focused on the importance of our theology, what we think about God in the context of our marriage. It is paramount that we know that the main purpose of marriage is not our happiness, both as individuals and/or couples. The main issue of marriage is the glory of God displaying the relationship between Christ and the church. It is so freeing to know that we are not His main concern. The main concern of God is God. Our joy is the outcome of God glorifying Himself. The most unloving thing is when we are placed at the center instead of God. This should be a challenging thought for the parents of young children. If you want to serve your children as unto the Lord, make God the treasure of your life and make them aware of their sin and their need for the Saviour. Instead of making much of a child, free him/her to make much of God.

The second highlight of chapter one is the need for God's word to be the foundation of marriage. A truth-based marriage is centered on Christ and truth is based from God's word. God's word should be the source of authority in our marriages. The challenge for me is to make the application of God's word a priority in my marriage. I must confess that I deceive myself when I think I can figure it out w/o the authority of His word. May we gain a fresh perspective of the bible, realizing that not only marriage, but all of life will only be as strong as the foundation of God's word in the given situation. Do you love God's word? Do you believe it is God's own words? My we fall in love with His word as we look to it for the only hope for the foundation of our marriage. What we will find when we look into the word is not a marriage blueprint...we find a person...God.
Sola Scriptura!!

2 comments:

micah said...

So true!

Karen said...

Mike, I found this chapter leading me to think about how I am parenting my children as well as how I see my marriage as you did. I really want to wrap my mind around how I can talk to my children about this so that they can have and feel the hope and grace of why Jesus truly came in the first place. Harvey said it so well that what we get out of His grace is not a prideful feeling, but an awesome awareness of how great and merciful our God is!