Sunday, February 17, 2008

Chapter One (IV)

"Till sin is bitter, Christ will not be sweet"

This short quote from Dave Harvey encapsulates the final part of chapter one. He asked a couple of penetrating questions to make you stop and consider the REAL problem. I know for me the problem is obvious and consistent...the problem is Mike Simmons. The questions are as follows :
1. "What if you abandon the idea that the problems and weaknesses in your marriage are caused by a lack of information, dedication, or communication?
2. "What if you saw your problems as they truly are; caused by a war within your own heart?

Unfortunately, because of our indwelling sin and deceitful hearts, the only bitter sin is the sin of others. Until we stop making excuses and searching tirelessly for more excuses, we will not be able to enjoy the gift that God has given us. Our spouse was given to us as an act of God's Sovereign will.

Dave Harvey stresses that looking at our own sin is paramount but is not natural. Our natural tendency is to look away from our hearts because we do not like what we see. That is also where the tendency comes from to focus on our spouse's sins. But that is where the gospel reigns supreme. As we look at our deceitful hearts, convicted of our sin, we should immediately look to the cross. The gospel is the only way we can look at our deceitful hearts with hope. When we take our sinful heart to the cross with full assurance of the atoning blood of our Savior, we can face our sin honestly and completely.

Our challenge is to BELIEVE that our biggest problem is not our spouse, job, children, extended family or anything else we constantly use as an excuse. The problem is not out there...it is within. May we all realize that a God-glorifying marriage will only occur with an honest INDIVIDUAL assessment of our sin and the liberating power of the cross. May we all pray that our desire would be for a cross-centered marriage.

Well, that does it for chapter one. I am so looking forward to meeting for chapter two, Waking Up With the Worst of Sinners, this coming Friday.


3 comments:

micah said...

Amen, thanks for that Mike. Have we seen Hambrick back on here yet?

Karen said...

This was quite a revealing chapter and what a way to end. I finally got real with God and my problems with ME in my first marriage right before the bottom fell out and it was too late. God revealed so much to me about my heart and my sin and it was honestly His love and grace towards me that got me through my divorce. I had almost a 4 year break of dealing with any spousal issues and quite honestly had myself believing that next time I would be an awesome wife who would do things much differently and better. Well, I have faced many new challenges but have hit many of the same issues in myself as before. The war inside of me has been so heavy at times because I am much more aware of my sin and I have found myself very down and the disappointment heavy. When I get like this, for me it's best not to talk to Chris about it until I have resolved somethings in myself. In talking to him prematurely, I always end up saying something else that I regret. He is still working on handling it when I tell him I can't talk about it yet :) I have been a christian since I was five and I am still trying to figure out how to allow God to fill me with His grace and love, so that I can move on with hope and He receive the glory. Sounds like a theology issue to me!! This chapter has been very insightful and helpful and I can't wait to soak in the rest of the book!

halogrl said...

you are my principal at Athens Jr. High